Okay fellow darkroomers, film buffs and photographers...
I have decided to try a creative process of film distortion for an upcoming series SOON.
Here is my story so far -and I will update this post and add others as I continue to experiment with materials and see what happens!
So far I have tried one strip of film negatives in (1st try) hot Tennessee whiskey for 14 minutes. I just let the negatives soak and then washed them in water, following this, for 5 minutes. I SAW NO DISTORTION ON NEGATIVES.
Next, (2nd try) I soaked the same negatives in hot -almost boiling, but not quite- red wine, for 16 minutes. AGAIN< NOTHING.
My third attempt was yesterday evening and I soaked the same strip of negatives in BOILING vodka and lemon juice. FINALLY, I think I'm beginning to see some distortion to the negatives/emulsion!!
I have saved all the alcohol to re-use if I so choose. I think it definitely needs to be boiling if using alcohol.
I never knew my film negatives were so hearty and could withstand so much abuse! How interesting.
Next, I will try bleach in some form. Either I will put the negatives on glass and swipe with a bleach-soaked q-tip, or I will fully soak the negatives in bleach.
*Keep in mind, to never mix bleach with any other chemicals! And to have open air around you at all times - the ability to open to a window, etc.*
Excited for the abstract, unknown, mysterious quality!
More to come.
Once in awhile, well, BAM!