It's coming together ... my next conceptual series ... first shoot coming up in August..
But the MAIN wardrobe piece is........<!>
ANGEL WINGS !!
I have designed these myself. I still have the finishing flourishes ...
But here are the building-process pics..
Yes, the cat.
I originally began with two hanger wires bent straight. (Thank you vice grips!)
Then held them together as I bent a solid "V" that will eventually hang the wings between the model's shoulder-blades. I did not yet know how heavy the wings would actually be and I wanted a back-up frame in case things did not go well in the first attempt.
NEXT came building a scaffolding structure for the feathers to adhere to..
I cut cardboard PIECES out -NOT ALL ONE PIECE, BUT PIECES- and duct taped them to the wire hanger frame. I did not want to create a flat scaffolding wing structure. I wanted some bit of bulk and I wanted some movement to the shape. So I duct taped away...
I duct taped until I go these somewhat rounded, somewhat symmetrical pieces (above).
I began to apply the feathers. (The feathers, and feathers, and feathers..)
I glue-gunned all day. I burned myself many a time. Can you say, "Glue gun burns?" Awsum. All in the name of ART.
Now, I did not want an altogether white angel wing. I wanted something a little darker...so after applying the white feathers in a first layer as below...
...THEN I began to add in gray feathers. Now, keep in mind, I am only using the cheapest, smallest craft feathers so this is taking QUITE a while! This is as I expected though. I didn't want the big feathery-Vegas-show-girl wing thing. I wanted something more simple, but still texturized and rather arresting. In the series, these wings will all be lit and then potographed in black and white images with a model...(!so FUN!) Below is my most up-to-date wings. I still will add some flourishes and a barely there harness. STAY TUNED! (Also still working on Working Joe series !!!)
Once in awhile, well, BAM!